Right from the off the Hawks made a point of how the game was going to progress and it was with a check by (19) Owen at the mid right that the puck broke free and he got a shot away nearly scoring within the first minute.
The game was end to end with both defences working hard and thwarting any attacks, the Lynx showing a significant size and power advantage over the Hawks players. At 3:30 (19) Owen with some strong battling play managed to battle from inside his own half and get a shot away coming close again.
[4:28] (14) Evan had a penalty given against him for tripping. There was a period of pressure from the Lynx which resulted in a strong shot beating the hand of Will for a Lynx Goal [4:46 - 0-1] (12) Dan made a break and had a shot from the just off centre which unfortunately was blocked by his own player (13). With one man down the hawks managed to push back the Lynx team and had several shots between (9) Koby and (13) which the Lynx keeper managed to keep out although the passing play of the hawks kept the pressure on.
When the Lynx managed to break out they found themselves a man up in attack but the hawks were fired up and always managed to catch up and suppress the breakaways and where a shot was let loose (1) Will was up to the task and either catching or icing the puck. The Lynx #12 coming very close to scoring twice over with some neat skating. The Hawks defence (7) Jack put himself about and took a beating from the stronger Lynx players, but each and every time it was enough to break up the play and release the pressure.
(13) Warren managed to make a break and had a fierce shot diagonally from the left about 10 meters out which twanged the top of the right hand post. In the last minute of the period the hawks got a break (12) Dan tried a shot which deflected and went behind for him to retrieve. He flicked the puck across the front of goal about a foot in the air (right to left and (13) Warren only just missed connecting with his stick.
Score Hawks 0 - Lynx 1
The Lynx broke straight from the face off and the 1 man attack was cut short when the energetic (14) and (7) Jack chased him down.(19) Owen made a break down the right and from just inside his half let a cracking shot away which sailed over the bar by a fraction of an inch. This ensured the end to end nature of the game continued as the Lynx #7 made a break and let a close shot off which (1) Wills lightning reactions were up to and he caught the puck.
The next few minutes were a scuffling battle as the Lynx players tried to bully the smaller Hawks players into mistakes but the hawks players used their heads and avoided many checks and returned the physical game to the Lynx. The hawks displayed some great team play and silky passing between (14) Evan and (20) setting up (16) Haven for a middle snap shot. Any sporadic breaks by the Lynx were closed down quickly by (7) Jack and (14) and the clearing the danger.
(10) Oscar made a break and with a final scramble as he was leaned on by two Lynx players managed to retain the puck get a shot on target which went in GOAL[18:30 - 1-1]
The hawks kept the pressure on the Lynx and it paid off with (19) Owen scoring with first assist by (16) Haven and second assist by (13) Warren displaying great team work. GOAL [21:42 - 2-1]
With the hawks pressuring (9) Koby had a shot saved, (17) Joel was caught offside.(12) Dan again displayed good turn of speed to collect a loose puck and run down the left to slot the puck neatly under the Lynx Net minder GOAL [23:21 - 3-1]
(17) Joel made some progress down the right and made a neat cross ice pass to (9) Koby who carried the puck to 5meters from goal but was barged off the puck as he lined the shot up. The cleared puck presented the Lynx #12 an opportunity and not wanting to be caught by the Hawks let a long shot away which was pretty close to finding the back of the net.
Lynx #17 took advantage of a loose puck after they applied some pressure and nicked in to slot the puck past an off balance (1) Will. GOAL [27:50 - 3-2] Lynx #7 and #23 with assists.
The Lynx seemed to have raised the tempo of the game and were knocking the Hawks players off the puck with seeming ease. This resulted in the Lynx #7 getting the opportunity to hit a decent shot in which found a gap between (1) Will and the right hand post. GOAL [28:35 3-3]
(19) Owen was penalised for charging [29:23] luckily the Hawks hung on. (16) Haven managed to break down the right an let an early shot off from 15meters which the keeper couldnt stop heading into the top left of the net GOAL [29:27 - 4-3]
(13) Warren showed some nice stick control down the left but the Lynx were well organised and doubled up to defend the probing runs being made. The Hawks began to look tired which the Lynx exploited with fast counter attacks which the Hawks struggled to cope with although the hawks defence still managed to fend off, with sometimes only a single defender.
(13) Warren made a break from the rear left diagonally across to the right, he passed back across the rink to (12) Dan who took a shot which came very close indeed to going in, the keeper ending up sat on the puck which was absolutely on the goal line.(9) Koby and (10) Oscar worked together well with several passes manoeuvred themselves into a position where (10) Oscar got a shot away from the middle and was deflected by the Lynx keeper.
The breakaway was very quick and the Lynx #3 took a fierce shot which again brought a reaction save from (1) Will. (17) Joel made a nice intercept and with quick thinking made a slip pass inside to (9) Koby who just couldnt get control of the puck. The Lynx again breaking out very quickly and their #10 having a superb shot which deflected of the top right of the net and over.
The hawks were slow to react to a break which the Lynx made and the lynx # 18 capitalised on the space given to him by neatly tucking the puck away into the goal after it had been deflected clear from a previous shot. GOAL [42:45 4-4]
All in all an exciting game for the spectators and the Hawks were unlucky to concede so late on in the game. The Draw was more than acceptable given the quality and superior size of the Notts Lynx team. Well done Hawks still top!
We run teams at all ages from our Under 10's Merlins to our senior team the Blackburn Eagles. If you want to try out for any of the teams then come along to the Blackburn Ice Arena at 6pm - 7pm Monday nights where we run a session where you can learn skating skills and how to handle a hockey stick. Don't worry about kit to get started, we have a room full of loan kit in all sizes, even skates.Club Sponsors
Monday night is learn to play night
All of our introduction sessions take place on a Monday night at Blackburn Ice Arena.
The timing of each session is as follows:
- Learn to Hockey Skate: 19:00 - 20:00
- Learn to Play Hockey 1: 18:00 - 19:00
- Learn to Play Hockey 2: 20:00 - 21:00
Each introduction programme consists of twelve weeks of structured training with on-going assessment throughout. Attendance at each of the consecutive sessions is necessary for successful completion of the programme, and progression onto the next stage.
Each 12 week programme costs £70, which is payable at the start of each programme.Videos